Studying Spanish at A-Level will enable you to develop your knowledge and understanding of Spanish culture and social issues whilst developing your written and spoken fluency. The course will provide you with critical and analytical skills crucial to further study and to understanding the wider world.
- develop control of the language to convey meaning using spoken and written skills,
- develop language learning skills and strategies, including communication strategies to sustain communication and build fluency and confidence
- promote and develop capacity for critical and analytical thinking
- engage critically with intellectually stimulating texts, films and other materials in the original language
- develop knowledge of key issues in the society and culture, past and present, of the country or countries where the language is spoken
- develop transferable independent research skills
Exam board: Edexcel
Syllabus title: Pearson Edexcel GCE in Spanish
Course code: A Level – 9SP0/01
Study of the following themes:.
Theme 1 is set in the context of Spain only
Theme 2 is set in the context of Spanish-speaking countries and communities.
Theme 3 is set in the context of Spain only
Theme 4 is set in the context of Spain only
Study of one Spanish language literary text (play or book)
Paper 1: 40% Listening/Reading and Translation. (80 marks) (2h)
Paper 2: 30% Writing based on book and film (120 marks) (2h 40mins)
Paper 3: 30% Speaking (72 marks) (21-23 mins)
Modern Foreign Language A Levels are seen as facilitating subjects by the Russell group of universities. Many students combine a language with business, law or IT. Language skills are highly prized by employers in general and may also lead to foreign travel and job opportunities abroad.