Longdean started life through the amalgamation of Apsley Grammar School and Bennett's End Secondary Modern. Both these schools were founded in 1955 to meet the growing need for secondary school education in the new town of Hemel Hempstead.
The two schools were merged in 1970 to form Hertfordshire’s third-largest comprehensive school at that time, the school changed its name to Longdean. The school motto of Rejoice in Thy Youth – reflecting our view that childhood should be celebrated and school enjoyed – was retained from the old Grammar schools motto and the new schools colours were an amalgamation of the two old schools.
The school converted to single academy status in 2011 (academies are independent, state-funded schools that receive funding directly from central government, rather than through a local authority). Longdean is also part of a consortium with two neighbouring Hemel Hempstead schools – The Adeyfield Academy and Astley Cooper School – working to enhance post-16 provision in the area. Staff development and wellbeing are also coordinated at consortium level.
For more background, please see our School Archive.
Here is a short video about the History of Longdean School